Exploring the Heart of Ignatius Spiritual Direction
November 17 @ 9:00 am - December 9 @ 9:00 am| $3585
November 17 – December 9 2022 *
Exploring the Heart of Ignatian Spiritual Direction is an intensive series of seminars that take up study of the Spiritual Exercises and the art of Holy Listening. Participants will learn or deepen their understanding of
- the movements of the Spiritual Exercises
- the Rules for Discernment and their applications in daily life
- the value of the Daily Examen and various ways to approach this foundational prayer
- the life and wisdom of Ignatius of Loyola
- the historical development of Christian Spiritual Direction and its contemporary expression
- what we listen for and how we listen as spiritual directors
- specific listening skills
- the effect of one’s images of God on one’s spiritual journey
- models for conducting spiritual direction sessions
Participants will also gain skills and confidence by practicing the art of listening with one another, with feedback from our trainers.
This is achieved through high quality presentations, case studies, small group work, reading/study, reflection and prayer. All of the training programs at Loyola House are rooted in the experience of participants. Likewise, all the presentations are grounded in the experience and wisdom of the Loyola House team.
This program is component 2 of Phase 1 of the Ignatian 3-Phase Training Program in Spiritual Direction and Retreat Ministry. Phase One is an intensive educational experience, not a practicum in Spiritual Direction.
I highly recommend this as a program that fosters phenomenal spiritual growth and hones spiritual direction skills, and teaches these skills if one is new to the process. –S.D.
Who Should Apply
Exploring the Heart… is designed for a range of individuals, from those who are already engaged in spiritual direction to those who are beginning to explore the possibilities.
Consider applying if you:
- provide spiritual direction or guidance and want to deepen and hone your skills, learning from our trainers as well as from reflection on your own experiences
- wish to begin the ministry of spiritual direction or explore the possibility
- want a deeper knowledge of the Spiritual Exercises and Ignatian spirituality
- wish to develop skills for listening to others share their sacred story and deepen their relationship with God
In all our training programs we welcome women, men, lay, religious and clergy from various denominations.
The entire course content was very helpful, enriching and empowering… This is a comprehensive holistic program for in-depth spiritual growth. It empowers anyone who desires to live in a loving relationship with God through the Spiritual Exercises. –S.J.G.
This was an excellent way for me to find out more about spiritual direction and discern whether to pursue it. –C.M.
Exploring the Heart… is open to persons who have made the full Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius under personal direction, either in the 30-day format or in daily life. It can also be combined with making the full Spiritual Exercises in our 40-day format beginning in early October.
There is an application process for this program. For the application package please contact the registrar by email or call 519.824.1250 ext. 266. The fees reflect component two only.
Application deadline is September 20. Note: If you reside outside of North America, we advise you to apply early to allow time for Visa process. Apply early as space is limited.
* Seminars begin on November 17, 9 am. Arrival needs to be no later than the prior day. There is no orientation the night before. All participants depart on the morning of December 9.