Basic Skills in Ignatian Spiritual Direction introduces people to the art of holy listening based on their experience of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola. Using prayer, presentations, case studies, small group work, reading, reflective writing and supervised listening exercises Participants will learn or deepen their understanding of:
- the movements of the Spiritual Exercises
- the Rules for Discernment and their applications in daily life
- the value of the Daily Examen and various ways to approach this foundational prayer
- the life and wisdom of Ignatius of Loyola
- the historical development of Christian Spiritual Direction and its contemporary expression
- what we listen for and how we listen as spiritual directors
- specific listening skills
- the effect of one’s images of God on one’s spiritual journey
- models for conducting spiritual direction sessions
- $3,985 CAD – Ensuite Room – private single bedroom with 3-piece washroom, desk and chairs
I highly recommend this as a program that fosters phenomenal spiritual growth and hones spiritual direction skills, and teaches these skills if one is new to the process. –S.D.
Who Should Apply
Basic Skills in Ignatian Spiritual Direction is designed primarily for those who are exploring the call of offering spiritual direction to others. However, those already engaged in this ministry can also benefit from the course.
Consider applying if you:
- wish to begin the ministry of spiritual direction or explore the possibility
- want a deeper knowledge of the Spiritual Exercises and Ignatian spirituality
- wish to develop skills for listening to others share their sacred story and deepen their relationship with God
- want to deepen and hone previously acquired skills in spiritual direction
We welcome women, men, lay, religious and clergy of all denominations to our training programs.
The entire course content was very helpful, enriching and empowering… This is a comprehensive holistic program for in-depth spiritual growth. It empowers anyone who desires to live in a loving relationship with God through the Spiritual Exercises. –S.J.G.
This was an excellent way for me to find out more about spiritual direction and discern whether to pursue it. –C.M.
Basic Skills in Ignatian Spiritual Direction is open to those who have made the full Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius under personal direction, either in the 30-day format or in daily life. It can also be combined with making The Full Spiritual Exercises Experience in our 40-day format beginning in early October.
Applications are reviewed by committee.
All acceptances to the Basic Skills Program
are conditional on the applicants’ successful completion
of the full Spiritual Exercises.
Note the application process for this program:
- Fill in the online application form
- Once completed, the registrar will email the entire application package
Application deadline is August 15. Note: If you reside outside of North America, we advise you to apply early to allow time for Visa process. Apply early as space is limited and capped at 10 people.
Basic Skills program begins on November 12, 9 am. Participants depart the morning of December 5.
To fill out application by clicking the Quantity box and selecting 1.