Land Acknowledgement: From the Anishnaabe to the Attawandaron, Haudenosaunee and the M’etis, these treaty lands are steeped in rich indigenous history and modern traditions. As a community, we have the responsibility to honour and respect the four directions, land, water, plants, animals, and ancestors. Today, this area is home to many indigenous peoples from across Turtle Island. We acknowledge the Mississaugas of the Credit on whose territory the Ignatius Jesuit Centre sits.
Founded in 1913 by a group of English–Canadian Jesuits as a place of prayer and worship, the land is the foundation of our programs here at the Ignatius Jesuit Centre.
The Centre’s lands form an ecologically significant corridor stretching from the west boundaries of the property to the Guelph Lake Conservation Area.
The property is separated into east and west parcels by Highway 6 North. To the west of the highway, the property is over 500 acres in size: to the east, roughly 100 acres. This is home to the Ignatius Old-Growth Forest – the 500-year project. The land on the west side is home to numerous buildings, including Orchard Park Office Centre and the world renowned Loyola House Retreat and Training Centre. Ignatius Farm operates on about 220 acres of land, while the remaining 280 acres of land is made up of formal landscapes surrounding the buildings and natural space: forest, meadows, stream, and wetlands.
The care of this land is characterized by ecological management, where the different uses are viewed and managed as a whole rather than as separate parts, in right relationship with the Earth.