Are you keen to learn about regenerative agriculture?
Ignatius Farm has been training folks in organic agriculture since 2002. You can join the movement that is creating circular local food systems and healthy farming systems that tackle climate change!
Are you getting into small plot agriculture or ecological agriculture? Have you always wanted to do a farm internship but it didn’t fit into your schedule? Are you building your farming knowledge and want specialized workshops? Are you looking to dive into a farm business but need some guidance? Ignatius Farm has options for you!
Open a window and let in some fresh farm air…
Do you have time and a craving to deep dive into learning farming skills, agricultural language and its application, and farm business basics?
Do an Ignatius Farm Internship! Mid-April – late November. This foundational experience is packed with full-time learning and working as part of the Ignatius Farm team. Over 100 alumni of this program are now farming and advocating for better food systems. Read the Internship Information package and apply! You will grow and eat a lot of delicious food, contribute to all aspects of the Farm, and enjoy the many community and networking connections of the Ignatius Jesuit Centre and our partners. Scroll down for curriculum details. *Deadline is March 1, 2021! See job posting here*
The Ignatius Jesuit Centre (IJC) aspires to be an equitable and inclusive place where a diversity of life experiences, identities and perspectives work together. IJC encourages Ignatius Farm applicants from all walks of life, especially those from communities that have been historically excluded from farming or access to farmland. We apply an anti-oppression framework to our work and have a zero tolerance policy for discrimination and harassment at Ignatius.
Do you want that training, but can’t commit to an internship?
Sign up for the Ignatius Farm New Farmer Training Program. With collaboration from Everdale and the Ecological Farmers Association of Ontario (EFAO), Ignatius Farm has restructured the intern farm education program in order to advance new farmers and anyone interested in farming, gardening, and food advocacy. The program offers over 25 online workshops and virtual field days with local farms and food businesses. Once per month there will be an optional in-person field trip to a farm in SW Ontario.
Participants begin with foundational knowledge, then learn about specialized aspects of farming, and end with a focus on establishing farm businesses. Join for a single webinar, term, or the entire program. Scroll down for the curriculum schedule. Registration opens March 2021 at EFAO.ca. Contact email@example.com for more details.
Do you want to complement your courses with hands-on gardening at your own pace and schedule?
Ignatius Farm’s New Farmer Training Program!
- Ignatius Farm interns participate in the full program with all fees covered
- Monthly in-person field trip to farms in SW Ontario!
- Become an EFAO member and benefit from lower fees!
Sample Program (dates & times subject to change)
Term 1: April 21-30, (9-11am & 2:30-4:30pm)
- 7 Webinars
- Provides foundational knowledge and language for basic farm work.
- Sample workshops: The Language of Ecological Agriculture in Ontario, Intro to Organic Growing, Soils, Botany, and Intro to Indoor Growing.
Term 2: Monday & Wednesday afternoons, May-July (2:30-4:30pm)
- 16 Webinars/virtual field days, 3 optional in-person field trips
- Teaches the application of farm language and knowledge.
- Sample workshops: Irrigation, Field & Bed preparation, Weed management, Harvest & postharvest handling, Cover crops & green manures, Indoor fruiting crops, Ergonomics/farmer health, Equipment maintenance.
Term 3: Monday & Wednesday afternoons, August-October (2:30-4:30pm)
- 14 Webinars/Virtual field days, 3 optional in-person field trips
- Expands beyond basics to build skills for a specialized farm.
- Sample workshops/field trips: Apiculture, Permaculture, Livestock (various), Flower production, beer/cider production, value-added products.
Term 4: November 1-19 (9-11am & 2:30-4:30pm)
- 12 Webinars/virtual field days
- Provides entrepreneurship training for operating a farm business.
- Sample workshops: Farm Design, Business planning, Production system management, Budgets & Record keeping, Marketing and distribution, Financing, and Land access.
*Online meet-ups will be scheduled each term for those participating in the full program/a full term in order to facilitate networking and participant learning objectives.
*Full program participants receive a certificate in the Ignatius Farm New Farmer Training Program.
The 2020 pilot program was gratefully funded by a Seed Grant through the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
“We want to express our sincere appreciation to the Ontario Trillium Foundation for supporting the programs at Ignatius Farm,” said Wellington-Halton Hills MPP Ted Arnott. “Helping to train the next generation of farmers is a very worthwhile objective, and we all benefit over the long term.”
The Ontario Trillium Foundation (OTF) is an agency of the Government of Ontario, and one of Canada’s leading granting foundations. OTF awarded $108 million to 629 projects last year to build healthy and vibrant communities in Ontario.