Ignatius Jesuit Centre is honoured to be the final resting place of many of Canada’s Jesuits. Many of the Jesuits buried in the cemetery began their religious training on this land, at the former St. Stanislaus Novitiate, now known as Orchard Park. Here they completed their novice training and worked, played, and prayed on the land surrounding the Novitiate. The cemetery was opened a few years after the Jesuits bought the land in 1913 and established the Novitiate.
The cemetery is a feature of the land that draws many visitors each year. In addition to the gravestones that mark those buried here, there are also standing stones inscribed with the names of Canadian Jesuits who are buried abroad. Also located in the cemetery is an intricately designed and handcrafted wrought iron bench, installed in 2014. The bench was commissioned by a donor and completed by a local blacksmith and custom forger.
It is quite common for us to receive inquiries about those buried in the cemetery or the location of a particular grave. For those seeking such information, click here for a list of those buried in the Jesuit Cemetery .
Location – GPS Coordinates 43.571982, -80.286608. The cemetery is located just below the Labyrinth and just up the hill from Loyola House.